Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German negotiation in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 on which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon followed and the Township was arranged in 1858 covering 81 square kilometers. Originally called Clinton, St. Joseph obtained its current name in 1870. Many settlers came up for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Town was integrated in 1890. As the township grew, so do the needs of its citizens, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their agenda in the 1890's, they decided to construct a prison, install a people well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and established liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a challenge and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was structured, which happens to be the St. Joseph Flames Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was growing with around here 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the family members after multiple many years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering the time to click here milk cows so additional time could be spent on crops and pet animal care. Soon after, World Warfare 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to combat.
After the warfare ended people were in a position to get their lives back on the right track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in place so many of the farmers considered making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the market crash. Using the depression effecting everyone in town, the city needed to stay together as part of your. Through a national grant, the Council was able to hire the jobless to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially inserted the US into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens were given out because so many items were an issue. In those days St. Joseph experienced a inhabitants of around 1050, losing 10 heroic soldiers to the battle. The community remained strong and ongoing to increase the Community, adding a normal water tower in 1949, plus a new Community well. In 1959, St. Joseph began fluoridating its water supply, and proceeds to do so.